Sunday, March 24, 2013

Blast Off into a 1st Birthday Party!

Where did the last week go?  For that matter, where did the last year go?!?!?  My sweet baby boy turned one yesterday!  He started walking and got three teeth just in the last week – it’s like he went from a baby to a big boy all at once!  Yikes!

DSCN8848

So for his first birthday party, I went with the whole Blast Off theme.  We do at home birthday parties and like to play up the theme with little play areas and themed thank you gifts, so we had fun with this theme – girls and boys!

DSCN8826

Here was the cake that I made for this party.  I found a Wilton cake pan in the children’s section at Michaels for this party.  It was a small pan, so I made a two layer cake out of one cake mix.  I added the flames by taking the peel apart twizzlers and attaching them to a toothpick to poke into the end of the cake – I thought that was the safest way to not mess up my icing!

DSCN8830

Here was the little smash cake I made for Owen – he mostly just played with it and got icing everywhere!  Winking smile

DSCN8832

Here are some little Rocket Cakes I made for the kiddos – they were not anything special, just a simplified idea I saw on Pinterest….I always have more ideas than I have time to create!

I just took a Little Debbie Ho Ho cake, a swiss roll, and a Hershey’s kiss and glued them together with icing!

DSCN8833DSCN8835DSCN8836

And because I’m one of those silly moms who like to make foods that go along with the theme, here are a few that I had – Astronauts in a Blanket, Moon Pies, Meteorite Mix, Star Bursts, Milky Ways, and some Rocket Fuel.

DSCN8837DSCN8839DSCN8843DSCN8844 

I ordered a mat for the floor to catch the inevitable mess that comes from a new cake eater!  He mostly got it on himself and not the floor! 

DSCN8787

I saw this idea on Pinterest and added my own little touch.  I used those silver CD bubble mailers to create my treat bags.  I added an alien with three googly eyes with my Blast Off stamp set.  The Daffodil Delight smudges are a stamp that came in the Paper Pumpkin kit this week. 

DSCN8790DSCN8793

Here are the treat bags – I always get rubber duckies for the little ones, no choking hazards there!

For the bigger kiddos, there was an assortment of space themed goodies to take home and play with!

DSCN8811

I was afraid the weather would not cooperate, so I had lots of indoor activities for the children to do, but it was actually quite nice, so they mostly played outside!  I had some hats for them to decorate and a few other activities.  DSCN8815Here is Owen’s birthday hat I made for him.

DSCN8814

Here is the card I made for him – lots of glitter and lots of glue! 

DSCN8812

I made a little mini album this week with a Bo Bunny kit that I found on sale at Archivers a few months ago.  Nothing special about it…just quick and easy – I put it together in one evening.

Those little spaceships were a big hit with all the children – they loved flying them around the house!  And the little ones liked chewing on them, of course!

Overall we had a great party and a happy little boy! DSCN8953

No comments: