Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Swiped background card

Here is a recent card I made in my club.  It was full of lots of different techniques, so I will just try and reference where you can find them.  For the folded card technique, I found free video over at Kristina Werner's blog.  She's a reknowned card making blogger who has been published many times in scrappy and card magazines. 
I changed the punch from a butterfly to the modern label punch.  I also changed the design so it would utilize the lovely Spice Cake patterned paper and Pool Party ruffled ribbon.  I would suggest cutting each at the fold lines so that you can still easily close your card. 
For the final touch on top, I punched out 3 scallop circles.  I crumpled them up and pulled them apart at the seams so that you see the inside of the paper (this is the faux suede technique).  I spritzed them with Smooch Spritz for just a tiny bit of shimmer and poked a hole for a designer brad to go through.  I made sure that when I put my glue dot on, I only put the glue dot on one side of the back so that it is centered over the middle of the card, but only sticks to one side.
And here is what the inside of the card looks like.  I used the Day of Gratitude stamp set for the inside of the card.  I stamped the medallion in the corner in Soft Suede and the Thank You greeting in Soft Suede on Very Vanilla - I punched this out with the word window punch to make it stand out from the background. 
The background was made using a swiped background technique that I learned from Club 52 in the Papercrafter's Library (see the link in the sidebar).  I used Pool Party, Pear Pizzazz, and River Rock for my swipes.  The best description I can give you for swiping is to just think of a wave in the ocean and swipe like a wave, going from your lightest color to your darkest color.  It creates a very dramatic background!

Stamps:  Day of Gratitude
Ink:   Pool Party, Pear Pizzazz, Soft Suede and River Rock
Paper:  River Rock, Soft Suede, Spice Cake DSP
Accessories:  Word window, modern label, and scallop circle punches, Pool Party ruffled ribbon, Pool Party Designer Brad, Simply Scored scoreboard

No comments: