Thursday, November 21, 2013

A Safari Party

Our family has decided to do DIY birthday parties at our home.  True, we can’t invite 50 children to every party, but our daughter really relishes in planning her themes and has enjoyed doing so for about 3 years now. So, her theme this year was a safari theme.  I set to work on Pinterest trying to find ideas that would make her party theme come to life as she envisioned it…on a budget, of course! DSCF0460

What’s a party without a cake?  My daughter decided she wanted safari animals on top of her cake, so I had to figure out if we could do a scene or something else.  Here was the end result.

DSCF0462

I actually found these sugar sheets at Hobby Lobby – they are edible sugar created by Wilton in a flat sheet.  Literally, they look like paper.  I cut the brown pieces to look like giraffe spots using my kitchen scissors and made homemade frosting so I could have a light yellow color for the bottom layer.  On the top layer I found zebra striped sugar sheets, so I actually cut those sheets with my paper cutter and my Big Shot.  I used the large scalloped circle for the top of it and set all of the animals on top with some icing.

DSCF0612

The inside of the cake looked like this, I found a tutorial on Pinterest to help make the inside of the cake look like a zebra. 

DSCF0486

We also decided to make these little binoculars.  I saved toilet paper rolls and spray painted them black.  After they were dry, I covered the toilet paper rolls with animal print duct tape and added some ribbon.  That way all of the children could hunt for animals on their safari!

DSCF0472DSCF0489

Announcing the birthday girl…now 7 years old.

DSCF0495

My husband’s contribution was to borrow a jeep and a dune buggy and create a safari.DSCF0602 

For the decorations as well as the safari we borrowed lots of animals from the kindergarten teacher.

DSCF0469

DSCF0471

We’re going on a safari….using our binoculars….

DSCF0500

Just a few of the animals we saw!

DSCF0515DSCF0608DSCF0609DSCF0610

Hope you enjoyed the safari party! 

No comments: