Thursday, December 29, 2011

Using up old rub-ons: Rub-on resist

I am almost finished scrapbooking all of these Disney character greeting pictures (I think)....yeah!  So, for this picture I went with Liz Chidester's sketch #140.  I also found inspiration from the color combination at For Your Inspiration - loved the blue and purple combination!
So here are some closeups of the accents.  This title uses the new stamp set Sweet Cake.  I colored the stamp with my Pool Party, Early Espresso, Wisteria Wonder, and Calypso Coral Stampin' Write markers.  I matted the image on Pool Party paper and went back and added some  Pool Party and Wisteria Wonder pieces on top.  I also added Dazzling Diamonds to the cupcake and heart as well as Dazzling Details to the thin border around the image. 
So, here I loved the fact that my daughter always enjoyed chatting with the characters, so I used up one of these old rub-ons.  I didn't want to just put the rub-on right onto the diecut, so I decided that I would rub the sentiment on and then sponge over this with Pool Party and Wisteria Wonder ink and let the rub-on resist the ink. 

Stamps: Sweet Cake
Ink:  Pool Party, Wisteria Wonder, Early Espresso, Calypso Coral,
Paper:  Sweet Shop DSP, Pool Party, Wisteria Wonder, Whisper White
Accessories:  Dazzling Diamonds, Dazzling Details, die cuts (retired), Rub-ons (retired), Jelly Bean Brads
Here's a card I made using the same type of rub-on effect.  This card uses the new stamp set Take Heart.  I love the silhouette stamp and decided to use a scrap of Pool Party to stamp the image.  I stamped the image in Basic Grey and took sponge daubers to sponge Old Olive and Island Indigo ink on areas of the image.
Here's a closeup of the rub-on resist on this image.  Instead of just sponging over the rub-on, I decided to stamp on top of the image.  Since I used a stamped image, I blotted the rub-on with a Kleenex gently so I wouldn't smear the stamped image. 
Here is the inside of the card.  I used the same technique as the scrapbook page.  I stamped the image in Basic Grey, rubbed the sentiment on, and then sponged Island Indigo over the image. 

Stamps:  Take Heart
Ink:  Basic Grey, Island Indigo
Paper:  Basic Grey, Pool Party, Pink Pirouette, Twitterpated DSP
Accessories:  Adorning Accents embossing folder, Hearts framelits die cut, Blushing Bride pleated ribbon, sponges, sponge daubers, Island Indigo baker's twine, Silver glass glitter, Vintage wallpaper embossing folder, rub-ons (retired)

And, finally, here is the spritzed rub-on resist.  I watercolored an image from the new Apothecary Art stamp set and spritzed it with Blushing Bride Smooch Spritz.  I cut that image as well as a frame out with the Framelits Labels die cuts.  Finally, I took an old rub-on and spritzed it with Blushing Bride smooch spritz.  I blotted that with a Kleenex and cut it out to pop up above the image.  I accented very simply with some Riding Hood Red pleated ribbon and a safety pin with Pear Pizzazz seam binding ribbon. 
Quick tip:  Do NOT attempt to pierce a hole in your watercolor paper for the safety pin....I threw my original pin away!  The watercolor paper is too heavy!  Just use a glue dot!  They are kind of like duct tape...you can't live without them!

Stamps:  Apothecary Art
Ink:  StazOn, Riding Hood Red, Pear Pizzazz, Soft Suede
Paper:  Watercolor paper, Whisper White, Blushing Bride, Twitterpated DSP
Accessories:  Labels framelits die cuts, Riding Hood Red Pleated Ribbon, Pear Pizzazz seam binding ribbon, Vintage safety pins, Blender pens, Blushing Bride Smooch Spritz, rub-ons (retired)

And, now, don't pass out, but I made my first video tutorial to show you the basic techniques for each of the rub-on resists! 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great work! Lovely projects! The first video is always the hardest (it took me hours ;)!

dstandard said...

Such lovely projects! Thanks for playing at FYI!

Michelle said...

What a lovely layout! Thanks for joining us at FYI!